Home

Monday, November 28, 2016

The hug given at the right time

After a long flight and a walk at the airport with swollen feet, all I could wish for was to be in my bed with a snap of my fingers. I didn’t actually know what was more painful; the tiredness, the swollen feet, the back or the heart that made me feel that every step I took was on sharp nails. In that instant I realized how desperately I needed a hug. A sense of jealousy crept into my bones when I saw others waiting to welcome their loved ones with flowers and hugs. It was my first flight after a long time spent on ground, and it felt like a punishment.


While feeling empty and sad with my head lowered, trying to keep the decorum of my uniform at the same time, I heard my name. I thought for a second that I was hallucinating or perhaps I had left something behind in my confusion. I looked around me and it was nobody except a few of my colleagues.

I heard my name for the second time, but I did not turn this time assuming someone else may have the same name as me. A blonde girl, all bubbly with a joyful face was waving at me. She was rushing right beside me on the other side of the fence. It was none other than my dearest friend. I had mentioned to her that I was going to New York and she decided to surprise me at the airport. The moment I saw her, all the pain disappeared, and I began to walk faster with my face illuminated. The minutes became seconds and at one point the time just stopped. I dumped my bags behind me and hugged her with all the energy I had. I didn’t realized how much I missed her until I saw her. Tears of joy were running down my face and I couldn’t explain how happy I was to see her and how much her surprise meant to me.

We spent hours talking to each other while having dinner at a restaurant. I felt her arms around me for the next few days. No matter how tired she was, whenever I was in New York, she would always come over to see me. She would always look for your comfort over her own. She would always worry about others but not herself. And what a beautiful coincidence it was that we shared the same name, well kind of.

Around three months ago, as soon as I was released to fly after a minor injury, I ran straight to her. This time I was in the metro counting every second until I meet her. I didn’t know what to say or how to react. I was making all kinds of scenarios in my head and wondering what will be the best way to approach her. I was trembling at the metro stop, hoping my emotions won’t show on my face while waiting for her.

I saw her wave at me from the other side of the road. I have a few seconds to get to her and I can control my emotions, I thought to myself. It was the longest hug we gave to each other, the tightest and the last one. At the back of my head I knew it was going to be the last one but I prayed instantly that it was not.

We sat down and chatted the entire morning and afternoon. She was happy and bubbly, but perhaps a 15 kilograms lesser. She showed me her flat stomach, and I tried to make a joke showing her mine and telling her I wished I didn’t have one, just to comfort her.

Today, I found out that she finally got what she desired; to be away from this world full of worries and sadness. She wanted to go to a place where she won’t be a pain for anybody.

I will always miss you, Ana, and I will always remember you smiling and bubbly, just how you wanted us to remember you.

We take things for granted in life and we don’t realize what we have until we lose it completely. Enjoy every moment with one another and focus more on the spiritual side than the material side because you leave the latter behind when you are gone.

In the memory of my friend Ana…. You gave me great joy and I hope I did too.




No comments:

Post a Comment