Home

Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Reckless Visit but Worth the Risk at Se Cathedral, Sao Paulo, Brazil

After a full day tour of several attractions, a bit tired and concerned that I have been pushing myself a bit too much, I thought of returning to the hotel. On a second thought, I decided that it might be a good idea to go to the Se Cathedral since it was on my list of places to see in Brazil. I was warned that the area around is not the safest. I was stuck between exhaustion, concern and excitement.

I decided to still go, I mean come on! I have been around the world by myself. A neighborhood cannot come in my way!
All excited, admiring the graffiti on the walls, I make my way to the Cathedral and think how blessed I am to have the nature on my side. It was such a beautiful, sunny day to enjoy the town. The taxi driver was not talkative, and didn’t look very friendly either. He was probably laughing inside, thinking I was out of my mind to go to a risky area with a camera and so many shopping bags in hands. Since I pretty much do what I feel like, I wasn’t worried. I happily enjoyed the sun cuddling my face and the new place I was going to explore.
Finally, we arrived in the area and from a distance I saw a glimpse of the Cathedral. I was absolutely captivated by the architecture and I couldn’t hide the sigh of admiration. The taxi driver looked behind to check if I was okay, and then he told me in Portuguese that he needs to go around. Now don’t think I speak Portuguese; I am lucky to speak a bit of Spanish and Italian so I kind of figured what he was trying to say.
As I got out of the taxi, the driver asked if I want him to wait for me, but with confidence I let him go. As a precaution, I decided to wear my backpack on the front. In one right hand I held onto the shopping bags and in the other my cellphone. To be very honest, I never hold my phone so tight. As soon as I got out of the car, a tiny shiver ran down my spine by just looking at the view in front of me, but the feeling was gone shortly as I put my head up and saw the breathtaking view of the Cathedral. The sounds of the street and the way everyone was watching worried me a little. With my left hand, almost breaking my fingers with the tight grip of my cellphone, I started filming a video of the small park in front of the Cathedral. Everything was new to me. I could see a group of beggars sleeping on the pavement. Others were chilling next to a tree. The entire street was full of the sounds and songs people were singing.
I carry on while taking pictures and videos, impressed by the impetuous cathedral. From time to time, I stopped to find the right angle, which I was calculating in my head. Suddenly, I heard a sharp scream. I really didn’t understand if it was a scream or a cry for attention. I looked behind me, just about five meters away, a woman was moving frantically and pointing towards a bicycle that just passed by. Uh oh! She got her bag or cell phone snatched. I looked around, nobody blinked. There were so many people in the piazza that could put the guy down, two police cars a bit farther down, but nobody moved an inch. In this instance, I got very conscious about my surroundings and how I was being watched.
Now the funny thing is that even the thieves must be confused seeing me. They were probably wondering if I was really alone, if it was worth taking a chance to rob me or if I am an undercover agent because clearly all my gadgets were out in the open. I was also constantly moving and bending for the right shot.
Anyway, after the incident, I instantly stopped taking pictures and put my cell phone and camera away. I quietly climbed the steps of the Cathedral. I still felt watched and analyzed. Once in front of the massive wooden gates of the cathedral, I decided to take my electronic devices out for one last shot of the impetuous Cathedral. 
I could breathe once inside, I felt like I was on a dangerous mission, just like James Bond in his movies. The inside was as beautiful as the outside and I felt happy that I didn’t go back to the hotel. The architecture and history is worth to witness.
You might think I am courageous or unconscious, but honestly I do calculate my risks. And sometimes the best things in life happen when you take risks.
I would like to share a few advice if you are travelling to Se Cathedral or any area that may have such risks involved. Leave your valuables and extra bags at the hotel. Carry a cheap phone for regular use. Buy a wallet that is for travel purpose only which don’t have your cards, just small bills. Try dividing the bills in various pockets. Get an anti-theft bag (wear it in the front) for cameras or expensive phones. Such bags are designed specifically for travel, made of slash-proof fabric and have features such as cut-proof, steel-cable-reinforced shoulder straps and locking zippers. Anti-theft bags are available online on Amazon, Travelon, and other retailers.









No comments:

Post a Comment